Students: Why join the GBS Marching Band?
- Get involved
- Make friends with kids from all grades
- Meet new people before high school starts
- Play fun music
- Show your school spirit
- Take trips and compete
Parents: Why should you encourage your student to join the GBS Marching Band?
- Looks great on college applications!
- Top performing students with full AP course loads, National Merit Scholars, and athletes participate in marching band
- Leadership opportunities
- Supportive community for all four years
- Fun organization with parent involvement – a great way for YOU to connect with other families and see your kids in action
Will I have time in my schedule?
- Band is an elective class, earning credit towards graduation requirements and receiving a grade that is part of the overall GPA
- Students will have the ability to participate in band and take other electives
- Band helps develop time management skills
- Here’s how you do it
What if I want to do other activities?
- Our band members do it all! We have people involved in: varsity & intramural athletics; choir; drama; dance; clubs; speech; debate; yearbook; newspaper; student government; part-time jobs, and more!
- The band directors work with coaches and activity sponsors to ensure students can participate in multiple activities
When does GBS Marching Band start?
- The Marching Titans perform at the Glenview 4th of July parade; rehearsals begin in late June; all incoming freshman are encouraged to participate
- We have rehearsals a few evenings in the summer and then a week-long band camp before school starts
Where has the band gone on trips?
- Our bands have performed all over the country and even internationally
- We’ve participated in every major college bowl game
- We’ve gone to Hawaii, Florida, California, New York
- We participated in the Macy’s Day Thanksgiving Day Parade
- We run fundraisers throughout the year to raise money to pay for these trips
What can I do now?
- Get involved NOW! Check out the calendar of events on the homepage
- Come to the GBS Varsity Football games and sit with the band and parents in the far north end of the stands!
- Cheer for the band at the Homecoming, Santa, Memorial Day, and 4th of July parades
- Attend Middle School Band Day
- Join us at Band-O-Rama
- Come watch the band compete
Get GBS Marching Band into your schedule:
- Incoming GBS students meet with their counselors in January to select classes
- Students are allocated two electives per semester; band is a full year elective
- Freshman are typically assigned an SRT, Student Resource Time (study hall)
- An SRT is not required; its typically never as productive as a parent would hope
- Tell your counselor you would like to join Marching Band in place of your SRT
- This allows students to take a second elective or an SRT